What This Book Is About
- Design and implement robust system components by means of the de facto unit testing standard in Java
- Reduce defect rate and maintenance effort, plus simultaneously increase code quality and development pace
- Follow a step-by-step tutorial imparting the essential techniques based on real-world scenarios and code walkthroughs
Who This Book Is For
What You Will Learn
- Organize your test infrastructure and resources reasonably
- Understand and write well structured tests
- Decompose your requirements into small and independently testable units
- Increase your testing efficiency with on-the-fly generated stand-in components and deal with the particularities of exceptional flow
- Employ runners to adjust to specific test demands
- Use rules to increase testing safety and reduce boilerplate
- Use third party supplements to improve the expressiveness of your verification statements
This book explains JUnit concepts and best practices applied to the test first approach, a foundation for high quality Java components delivered in time and budget.
From the beginning you’ll be guided continuously through a practically relevant example and pick up background knowledge and development techniques step by step. Starting with the basics of tests organization you’ll soon comprehend the necessity of well structured tests and delve into the relationship of requirement decomposition and the many-faceted world of test double usage. In conjunction with third-party tools you’ll be trained in writing your tests efficiently, adapt your test case environment to particular demands and increase the expressiveness of your verification statements. Finally, you’ll experience continuous integration as the perfect complement to support short feedback cycles and quality related reports for your whole team.
The tutorial gives a profound entry point in the essentials of unit testing with JUnit and prepares you for test-related daily work challenges.
What This Training Is About
We offer training that imparts the knowledge needed to cope with the challanges of testing with JUnit, efficiently in small on-site classes, tailored to your company needs, with a good deal of practical exercises.
Who Our Training Is For
What You Will Learn
- the motivation for JUnit testing beyond safety net and pure regression avoidance
- the definition and different usage scenarios of unit-, integration- and acceptance-tests
- the advantages of the test first approach
- the common four phase structure of well written unit tests
- the meaning of component behavior related testing
- the role of test cases as low level specifications
- the different test naming conventions
- the decomposition of requirements into small and independently testable components
- the importance of test isolation using test doubles as stand-in collaborator components
- the pro and cons of using test double/mocking frameworks
- an introduction of working with Mockito
- the particularities of testing exeptional flow
- the general architecture and particular usage scenarios of test runners
- the mechanics of test helpers based on JUnit Rules
- the different assertion approaches available and the importance custom assertions for readability
- the employment of test coverage measurement
- an introduction of how to run JUnit tests automatically within a CI build
Scope and goals of the course can be adjusted to the specific needs of the participants. Trainings can be held in German or English. Contact us for more details, dates, and arrangements.
- How to Replace Rules in JUnit 5 The recently published JUnit 5 (aka JUnit Lambda) alpha release caught my interest, and while skimming through the documentation I ...
- JUnit 5 – A First Look at the Next Generation of JUnit In the beginning of February, the JUnit 5 (aka JUnit Lambda) team has published an alpha release. Since JUnit 4 is among ...
- Testing with JUnit: E-Book Xmas Offering for Less than 6$ Long story short, my publisher has informed me about a campaign that started on December 17th and which is lasting ...
- What the Heck Is Mutation Testing? In recent times, I came repeatedly upon the term mutation testing. Since the word is that this approach is able ...
- Clean Integration Testing with JUnit Rules The benefits of JUnit Rules, especially when dealing with integration testing, can hardly be overrated. In this post, we’ll shine ...